I have been fortunate enough
to try out a Rab Microlight Jacket for Outdoor Kit and here’s my verdict:
The most stand out feature of the jacket is
it’s weight to warmth ratio. This jacket is super light-weight and can be taken just about anywhere with ease. It comes into it’s own on a summer’s day in the UK or trips
abroad. Personally I feel that this jacket is
not warm enough for sub-zero temperatures but is perfect for the cool evening
after a days climbing or keeping warm in between routes at the crag or even at
the wall.
| Keeping warm in Tenerife |
Another useful feature is it’s size (see picture below). This extremely packable jacket is
warmer and lighter than any hoody or fleece that I have come across and will pack down
to at least half the size. So
again, it is perfect for the days when you might not even think to pack a
jacket but will be extremely glad you did as lets face it…I live in the UK. I
have seen this jacket passed around my friends when the breeze picks up on a summer's day at the crag and others have optimistically
left their jackets at home.
| Next to a 15cm ruler |
The women’s fit and style are good and I
would recommend a closer fitting size to keep the warmth in. I chose my normal UK dress size which was slim-fitting but remained practical.
My one minor criticism is the wrist cuffs
could be tighter to keep the warmth in and if I could choose again, the
equivalent with a hood would also help give that extra cosiness usually
associated with down jackets but perhaps that is just personal preference. It is also perfect and comfortable for belaying in and more than flexible
enough for warming up in on a particularly chilly day.
Conclusion:
The perfect down jacket for the warmer
months or for those chasing a bit of European winter sun. Why
should we wait until winter to get wrapped up in down?
Thanks to OutdoorKit

No comments:
Post a Comment